Credit, debit, and prepaid cards are one of the most convenient ways to deposit money at US gambling sites. And while it’s illegal for offshore gambling sites to accept credit card payments from US residents, state-licensed and regulated online casinos can legally accept credit and debit cards for real money casino deposits.
Visa / Mastercard US Gambling Deposits
Most regulated online casinos in the U.S. accept both Visa cards and Mastercard cards (credit, debit, and prepaid cards). However, not all Visa and MasterCard cards are created equal, as some Visas and Mastercards still do not work for making online casino deposits. Players may need to try different cards to find cards that work at different online gambling sites.
These challenges are fewer and farther between in regulated states like New Jersey, however, as issuing banks update their policies around online gambling payments. For example, TD Bank finally changed its policy in 2019 to allow TD credit and debit cards to be used at online gambling sites.
- Visa is the largest global payment brand; Mastercard is the second largest.
- Most regulated online betting sites in the U.S. accept Visa and Mastercard.
- Some Visa and Mastercard cards do not work at online casinos.
- Instant deposits at online gambling sites.
- Deposit method only in the U.S.
- Easy online deposits, similar to making online purchases.
- Cash advance fees may be charged if using a credit card, instead of a debit card, for deposits.
Discover Card US Gambling Deposits
Unlike Visa and Mastercard, Discover cards are not directly accepted at most regulated online gambling sites in the U.S. There are exceptions, like the Michigan iLottery, however. Discover can also be used to fund a variety of other payment sources, including e-wallet accounts like PayPal.
In addition, Discover Cards can be used for online gambling deposits and withdrawals through Play+ (PlayPlus) cards. Discover is an approved direct funding source for Play+ cards and Play+ issues prepaid Discover Cards that are linked to Play+ accounts. Play+ cards can be used to make purchases anywhere that Discover is accepted.
- Popular payment card in the U.S.
- Not widely accepted at online casinos directly.
- Can be used to fund Play+ prepaid online casino cards.
- Play+ account cards are issued as Discover prepaid cards.
- Can be used to fund e-wallets like PayPal.
- Gambling deposit payments are eligible for standard Discover cash back rewards bonuses.
American Express US Gambling Deposits
American Express is currently not accepted directly at any regulated gambling sites in the U.S. However, as a trusted payment card brand in the U.S., American Express can be used to fund other payment sources, including e-wallet accounts like PayPal.
- Trusted payment card brand in the U.S.
- Not accepted directly at regulated online gambling sites in the U.S.
- Can be used to fund other payment methods like e-wallet accounts.
- Gambling deposit payments are eligible for Amex Membership Rewards or cash back bonuses.