A lot of things influence the legislation and regulation of online gambling in the United States – the people’s right to choose, religious beliefs, political motives, and ethical standards among them. But mostly it comes down to money and power – who has and wants to keep it, and who aims to get it.
On this page, you’ll find profiles of the politicians, professionals, companies, and organizations who have an influence on the evolution and legalization of online gambling in America.
Influencers in the gambling world cover a wide range of people and businesses. Most of the businesses are covered in the next section, but that still leaves plenty of people to cover here.
The first group that most people think about when they hear the word influence is politicians. While the politicians do make up a large part of the influencers, don’t overlook many of the other people who influence the gambling world every day.
Large and small groups lobby for and against things they hope to influence. Though they aren’t directly related to the gambling industry, consider how much power a group like the NRA has in the United States.
Ignoring groups like this would be a mistake no matter which side of the gambling argument you fall on.
For example, many politicians have had a direct influence on the gambling world over the years. The profiles of politicians in this section will include a brief overview of their life and political career, but most of the details will be restricted to what they’ve done that are directly related to gambling.
Are you more interested in how a politician voted on a tax bill or about how they introduced legislation that made online gambling legal or illegal?
- Barney Frank
- Chris Christie
- President Donald Trump
- George Pataki
- Harry Reid
- Jason Chaffetz
- Jeb Bush
- John McCain
- John Kyl
- Lindsey Graham
- Lou Correa
- Marco Rubio
- Mike Gatto
- Mike Huckabee
- Rand Paul
- Ron Paul
Here you’ll find professionals that have a significant impact on online gambling in the USA. For example, land-based casino operators who don’t want the online gambling industry to grow? Guys like Sheldon Adelson and Steve Wynn have had a tremendous amount of influence on the gambling world, both offline and online.
Another example is Benny Binion, one of the most well-known names in the gambling world, creating the World Series of Poker in the early 1970s. But what else do you know about him? He had a storied life that included the mob, murder charges, trials, and a host of other newsworthy details. You can learn about things like this and more on every profile page in this section.
Profiles in this section include information about the person, group, or business, including history and the important facts pertaining to the gambling industry.
- David Licht – CEO of the AAPN
- Attorney Alfonse D’Amato
- Calvin Ayre – Founder of Bodog
- Attorney I. Nelson Rose
- Isai Scheinberg
- John Pappas
- Mark Scheinberg
- Sheldon Adelson
- Anna Sainsbury
Companies & Organizations
This section alone could include thousands of pages of profiles. Think of all of the companies that either make up the gambling industry or serve it in some way.
Look at everything that has to be built and maintained for you to play blackjack on your computer. I’m sure I’ve forgotten at least a few things, but consider this list.
- The software provider who created the blackjack game and casino platform
- The company that licenses the software and owns the online casino
- The financial services companies that are involved in moving your money into and out of the casino
- The Internet itself, from the people who built it to those who helped it grow to where it is today
- The companies that made all of the parts for your computer and the company that assembled them
- The marketing department of the online casino that places ads to tell the public what they have to offer
- The affiliates who recommend the casino on their web site or email list
- The tracking companies that work with the casino site to help them understand where their traffic is coming from and how they can improve it
- The politicians around the world that have been involved in you being able to gamble online
- The country that licensed the online casino
The list could go on and on. And this is just a look at an example covering online play. What if you considered one of the large groups that own casinos in Las Vegas?
Think of all of the companies that provide services for land-based casinos. From all of the different companies that produce slot machines and table games to security companies to the people in the kitchens and laundry departments.
- The Coalition to Stop Internet Gambling
- The United States Department of Justice
- The Interactive Gaming Council
- The PPA – Poker Players Alliance
- The Rational Group
- San Manuel Band of Mission Indians
- Viejas Band of Kumeyaay Indians
- Amaya Gaming
- 888 Holdings
- Boyd Gaming
- Caesars Entertainment
So often we ignore everything that has to happen behind the scenes in order for something to work. When we flip the light switch we expect the light to come on. We don’t think about the power plant generating the electric and the lines that carry it and everything else that happens to make sure our light works. But we sure start looking for someone to blame when the light doesn’t work.
The same can be said for the blackjack game we play on our computer or the one that’s offered at the local casino. All we want to do is play, not worry about why we can play.
As you go through the gamblers, influencers, and companies that shape the gambling world consider how far things have come in the last 100 years. Many things have improved a great deal and some things haven’t changed much at all.